Monday, October 3, 2011

Our First Experience with "Teach-Ok"

From the middle of September.....

Lately I (Mrs.Allen) have been doing a lot of reading on Whole Brain Teaching, so I decided to take the plunge and begin testing it out with our class. Our attention signal, "Class-Yes," is working out well, so this week we tried something new: "Teach-Ok." Since we had been learning about prime and composite numbers, I decided to have us learn the technique by reviewing what prime and composite numbers are with a simple sort-of chant mixed with a few of gestures. After we got that down, I introduced square numbers with a sort-of chant mixed in with a few gestures as well.  (All three that are featured in the video I made up entirely based on what I felt would make the most sense to our class; they're definitely not "incredible," but I think they work for us!)

Anyway, as you will see in this video, we are still in the very beginning stages of getting this totally down, but I think it's a pretty good start! Hope you enjoy! (Side note: normally, our room is configured into teams, but for this technique we had to rearrange our desks into pairs.)



1 comment:

Nancy C said...

I love your example of "Teach Ok". I think when kids teach/share what they are learning with a peer it solidifies their learning. Great job!

Post a Comment